Minibus Insurance

All aboard!
You’re on route to Great Value
Minibus Insurance

Minibus Insurance
All aboard! You’re on route to Great Value Minibus Insurance

We’ve got your Minibus Insurance covered!

If you drive a passenger vehicle capable of carrying from 9 to 17 people then CoverMy Minibus is the right choice for you!

We’ve been providing tailor made insurance cover to minibus drivers for over 40 years, including covering private individuals, businesses, schools, local authorities, charities and not-for-profit organisations.

We’re independent insurance brokers with access to a range of products from the UK’s top specialist minibus insurers.


Human score    Trustpilot Stars    number of reviews    Trustpilot Logo

Minibus Insurance - CoverMy Minibus

What cover do I need for my Minibus?

If you use your vehicle to transport fare paying passengers such as a group of party goers or the local football team, you’ll need a policy that covers you for business use. You’ll also need to make sure you have the correct drivers licence and vehicle permit, click (here) to read the government requirements on minibus licensing.

Need minibus cover for just personal use?  No problem, our policies are flexible and can cover you for social, domestic and pleasure purposes if that’s all you need.

A Minibus is a passenger carriage vehicle used in a broad range of roles, from transporting the local sports team back and forth from games, driving schoolchildren to field trips and residentials or used by non-profit organisations such as churches and charities for community based projects.

Minibuses are less than 3.5 tonnes in weight, windows all round and typically have between 9 and 17 seats including the driver, but this can be increased depending on the vehicle up to 23 seats. Minibuses require a specialist insurance policy. CoverMy Minibus will provide quotes for the full range of minibus vehicles and uses.

Multi-passenger vehicles or MPVs are not Minibuses and will have up to 8 seats, these will be insured under a more traditional Private Car or SDP policy.

If you have a vehicle with over 17 seats we can still cover you but we would offer these under our Coach products.

CoverMy Minibus offer policies to cover a wide range of minibus uses :

CoverMy Personal or Social, Domestic & Pleasure Use – this policy caters for private use only where you will be driving your family from A to B

CoverMy Private Hire – similar to a Taxi policy, you will need the relevant licence from the local authority and will take fare paying passengers

CoverMy Carriage of non-fare paying passengers – this policy covers charities, sports clubs and schools where there is no payment to the driver by the passengers

All minibus insurance policies will cover the minimum requirements of the Road Traffic Act for third party cover, to cover in the event of damage to third party vehicles, property or and injury to individuals.

To drive any minibus with 9 or more passenger seats you will need the correct category on your driving licence issued by the DVLA.

For all non-fare paying uses you will need a category D1 licence entitlement, which allows you to drive vehicles up to 16 passenger seats, a maximum length of 8 metres and a trailer of up to 750kg. If you got your driving licence prior to 1st January 1997 you will likely have D1 entitlement.

For private hire minibus and contract use you will additionally need a PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) licence and you or your firm will need a Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operator licence.

If you drive for voluntary community organisations and need to charge for running costs including fuel, you can apply for a Section 19 permit to allow this without needing a PCV licence.

For further information please visit the GOV.UK website

We can offer flexible payment plans and premium finance options allowing you to spread the cost of your policy over a longer period with the maximum being 10 months (subject to the provider’s terms and conditions).

You will find the claims number in your policy documents which you receive when you take out your policy. Their lines are normally open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just have your policy number and vehicle registration to hand when calling them.

Yes, you can add up to 4 additional named drivers to your policy at any time. Simply give us a call on 0345 040 1941 and we will be on hand to make the necessary changes.

Yes, we can upgrade you to European cover for your minibus if you plan to drive abroad.

Unfortunately, at this moment we can only offer a yearly policy period for all our minibus options.

Unfortunately, our current insurer panel are unable to insure any vehicle in conversion stage. If you have the intention to convert the minibus into a campervan in the short term, we would be unable to offer a rate, however if it has been converted and the V5 has been changed with the DVLA we can offer a quote under our CoverMy Motorhome page.

Upgrade your cover with Bolt-ons

In addition to offering the best rates for your Minibus Insurance, we also offer a range of Bolt-ons.


Our Bolt-ons are designed to keep your minibus on the road. Choose which ones to add to your policy for complete peace of mind:

Minibus Breakdown Cover – Roadside & Homestart

Legal Expense Cover

Extended Public Liability Insurance

Why choose CoverMy Minibus?


Besides offering policies which are great value for money there are so many reasons to choose CoverMy Minibus, here’s just a few…

Over 40 years’ experience

Excellent customer ratings

UK based call centre

24/7 accident and claims reporting

Flexible payment plans, helping you spread the cost of your insurance

We’ll keep you on the road and working with a replacement minibus in the event of a non-fault accident
(Terms may apply, speak to one of our team members to find out more)

No Claims Bonus Protection

Minibus Insurance - CoverMy Minibus

Need to report a claim?

No one likes to think about having a motoring accident or incident, but unfortunately, they do happen – Here’s some helpful tips on what to do if you’re involved in one:

Move to a safe place

Call the emergency services if anyone is injured

If safe to do so, take photos with your smartphone of the scene and the vehicles involved

Exchange your contact, insurance and vehicle details with all other parties

 Take contact details of any independent witnesses

Do not admit liability

Call your insurer’s claims reporting line as soon as possible, then they’ll do the rest

At CoverMy Minibus, we’ll help you every step of the way. Call us to find out more information on making a claim.

Cover your Minibus today

We much prefer to speak to our customers so call us for a quotation on
0345 040 1941, our phone lines are open Monday-Friday from 9am-5.30pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.
Alternatively you can request a minibus quote online.

What our customers say